Sunday, December 5, 2010

Sorority Row (2009)



Sorority Row (2009) Dir. by Stewart Hendler

A group of sorority sisters try to cover up the death of their house-sister after a prank gone wrong, only to be stalked by a serial killer.

Sophomore only to his first feature film Whisper (which I haven't seen, but have added to my watch list), Stewart Hendler delivers an entertaining remake of House on Sorority Row (1983). Sure the basic plot has been done hundreds of times including I Know What You Did Last Summer, accidentally kill someone - cover it up - people involved start being murdered, and Sorority Row gives nothing special in terms of plot. For the most part it is pretty straight forward, never really wavering from that path, and never really gave me that Who Done It? feel. I was entertained enough to watch it from beginning to end, but I can't say it is anything I would run out and buy the DVD for, but I would pick it up if I found it in the $5 bin at Walmart.



The acting in the film is at par level about as much as you can possibly get. There are no characters that really stand out, and no performance that really reach out and grab you. There isn't really a lead character, but instead the majority of the sorority is the protagonist. The character that really does stand out for me is the killer. There is nothing really special about the appearance but it is definitely dark and mysterious, and it adds to the film for sure.



There isn't a whole lot I can say about the film, but it does have a lot of positive things going for it. It has an insanely creative weapon for the killer! It does stick to the 80's slasher laws of plenty of naked girls (including a sorority shower scene), plenty of gore (some of the most creative kills I have seen in a while), and no need for plot. There was a kill involving a bottle of alcohol that I particularly enjoyed! All in all, I think the movie is worth at least one viewing if not more. It is something I would watch again if I saw it on Showtime or Starz.

Entertainment Value: 7/10 Tire Irons
Cinematic Value: 6/10 Tire Irons

3 comments:

A. said...

Reviewed this recently myself...and was less than enamored with it. I tend to root for the killer as it is, but goddamn, I really wanted these girls to die...horribly.

Michele (TheGirlWhoLovesHorror) said...

The people who make movies involving sororities obviously have no idea what it's really like to be in one.

Anyway. This movie was enjoyable brainless fun but it's not something I need to see again. Although the murder with the bottle was kind of awesome.

Jeremy [Retro] said...

chicks with man-hands...