Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Movie for Every Year from my Birth



A LIST!!!

First of all, I just want to say damn you to The Mike of From Midnight With Love. A couple days ago he posted the exact same list. You can read it by clicking on this link.

http://frommidnight.blogspot.com/2011/05/movies-of-mikes-years.html

I decide to do the exact same thing. The only problem is Mike and I have a very similar taste in films, so I wanted to make sure that I didn't double up any of the films he had chosen, and I must say it was VERY difficult. He had so many good choices. I won't delay this any longer though, here are my favorites I chose today for every year starting from my birth. Don't ask me to repeat it again next week because I'm sure some of them will change, haha. Here they are.



1983- Cujo

You make find a reoccurring theme on my list and that is Stephen King. I can’t help it… he is a driving factor from my youth all the way to today. He inspires me to write, and Cujo is no exception. This was one of the first horror films I had seen in my youth, and it made me never want a dog. It is a fine example of a great film, with one primary location, and the ability to scare the crap out of you with out any unrealistic monsters or insane amounts of gore. Beautifully made, and it will always remain close to me.

(runner-up would be Return of the Jedi… my favorite Star Wars film.)



1984 - Ghostbusters

Considering I was a bit of a late bloomer when it came to horror movies, I wasn’t even aware of NOES until I was nearly ten years old. Before that time, Ghost Busters was one of the scariest movies I had seen as a child, (along with Gremlins), and I never knew that the Ghost Busters movies would play such a big part of my teenage years. I remember watching it over and over again every weekend. I didn’t care much for the second one, but I watched it anyway. Hopefully we will see a third, but I’m not holding my breath.

(runner-up would be The NeverEnding Story… I’m a sucker for a good fantasy film.)



1985 – Legend

The perfect combinations of director and actors with early Ridley Scott (before his epic action flops) Tom Cruise, and the always amazing Tim Curry that led this film to making my list. It is just one of those films that I just can’t seem to get tired of watching. Once again the sucker for a good Fantasy film.

(runner-up would be Weird Science… for obvious reasons.)



1986 – Stand by Me

I thought the obvious choice would be to go with the most amazing sci-fi film involving aliens ever created… Aliens. It also happens to be one of the rare times I liked to sequel more than the original. That being said, there is no movie that warms my heart more than Stand by Me. It is the perfect example of a friendship film, and such an amazing journey. Not to mention it is always fun seeing such big stars when they were so young.

(runner-up would be Aliens and all its badassery.)



1987 – Spaceballs

1987 is pretty much the hardest year ever to choose from; Lethal Weapon, RoboCop, The Princess Bride, Full Metal Jacket, Predator and so much more. Of all the great films from 1987, there is no film that I have watch as many times as Spaceballs. Still being able to quote nearly the entire film to this day it is forever imprinted in my mind.

(runner-up would be The Lost Boys… One of the most memorable vampire films of my
time.)



1988 – They Live

While I might not have as much of an obsession with Carpenter as say… The Mike, he is still in my top three favorite directors of all time, and They Live is a prime example of his awesomeness. There is a legendary lengthy ridiculous fight scene that alone makes the film worth purchasing, not renting, but purchasing.

(runner-up would easily be Who Framed Roger Rabbit… one of the first films to truly successfully combine live action with animation in comedic genius.)



1989 – Say Anything

I know I should say Field of Dreams because it is in Iowa and all, but the romantic in me says otherwise. Say Anything inspired the nerd in me to try my hardest to get the girl, and eventually someone fell for it, haha.

(runner-up would be The Wizard… which I owe my video game addiction to.)



1990 – Tremors

In a year filled with numerous romantic comedies, there is only one film that comes to mind… Tremors!!! I shouldn’t have to say much more than that, haha.

(runner-up Edward Scissorhands… for being a brilliant film.)



1991 – The Silence of the Lambs

The Silence of the Lambs is one of the most memorable films of my lifetime, and it probably gave me more nightmares than any horror film.

(runner-up goes to Beauty and the Beast… Shut it… it is a guilty pleasure.)



1992 – Aladdin

You can say whatever you want having two Disney films in a row, but Aladdin is my all-time favorite Disney film! Comedic and musical genius combine for a great film.

(runner-up goes to Army of Darkness… It was tough to put a cartoon in front of this, but it didn’t have as much of an impact on me throughout the years. Army of Darkness is just an amazing film!)



1993 – What’s Eating Gilbert Grape

I absolutely love this film and it has appeared in my top ten films on numerous occasions. Plus Leo gets to play a role typecast for himself! Bam! I said it, haha.

(runner-up goes to another Burton concoction with The Nightmare Before Christmas.)



1994 – The Crow

Damn The Mike for taking my pick with Shawshank Redemption, haha. It was hard for me not to pick Dumb & Dumber for this year, but The Crow is such an amazing film I had to go with it.

(runner-up goes to Dumb & Dumber.)



1995 – Se7en

This year was actually easy for me. Se7en was the first DVD I have ever owned.

(runner-up goes to Mortal Kombat… the good one, not the sequel.)



1996 – Trainspotting

This is the time I first fell in love with the way Danny Boyle makes movies… just plain beautiful.

(runner-up goes to Independence Day.)



1997 – The Game

One of Fincher’s best films in my opinion, and had me guessing until the end.

(runner-up goes to Good Will Hunting… brilliant film.)



1998 - Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

British comedy will always have me, because of its awkward humor, funny accents, and perfect delivery in timing.

(runner-up goes to Dark City… mostly for Jennifer Connelly.)



1999 – Fight Club

This choice was an easy one, and I don’t know that anyone could try and debate it with me. Fight Club is nearly a PERFECT film.

(runner-up goes to The Boondock Saints… I don’t know that I have ever watched a movie as many times as I have seen Boondock Saints.)



2000 – American Psycho

American Psycho is where Christian Bale first showed his excellence in acting and his ability to be a really creepy dickhead. Amazing film.

(runner-up goes to Memento. Memento is one of those films were I had to watch it multiple times before I finally grasped the whole concept, and it was where Christopher Nolan first showed his great filmmaking ability.)



2001 – Donnie Darko

There aren’t a lot of films that can compare to Donnie Darko on any level. It is just such a well made film that makes you think even when you don’t know you are doing it.

(runner-up goes to Mulholland Dr.)



2002 – 28 Days Later

Since The Mike elected to take my favorite film from 2002, I had to resort to my first runner-up, which is a movie after my own heart… 28 Days Later. People can argue the what makes a zombie a zombie until they are blue in the face, but Danny Boyle makes zombie films unlike any other. He makes the with raw emotion that makes them more than just another zombie film.

(runner-up goes to the underappreciated Equilibrium.)



2003 – Identity

In my opinion 2003 is one of the worst years for film, but the one that stands out to me as being memorable was Identity. A film with so many twists and turn it kept me guessing the whole time, and finished strong with a “what the hell” ending.

(runner-up goes to Freddy vs Jason… I’m sorry but this film is just a blast!!!)



2004 – Shaun of the Dead

I’m a little surprised this didn’t make it on to The Mike’s list. Shaun of the Dead is what happens when a perfect mix of comedy and horror is used to make a film.

(runner-up goes to Crash… emotion film that just amazed me.)



2005 – Serenity

Stemming from one of my favorite TV shows of all time, Firefly, Serenity was a perfect follow-up to the show, tying off some of the loose ends that weren’t answered with the show was cancelled early.

(runner-up goes to Batman Begins… It launched a new amazing series of Batman films.)



2006 – Pan’s Labyrinth

Del Toro’s amazing fantasy film that gets me every time.

(runner-up goes to Children of Men… an amazing emotional film.)



2007 – 28 Weeks Later

I didn’t think that it would be as good as the first one, but boy was I wrong… it was just as emotional, and a blast to watch. Can’t wait for the third.

(runner-up goes to No Country for Old Men.)



2008 – Taken

There is no film in the last 5 years that has made me want to fist pump as much as Taken. Liam Neeson is a badass!

(runner-up goes to The Dark Knight… the perfect movie for a sequel.)



2009 – Star Trek

I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go with this, but J.J. Abrams managed to turn a tv show I didn’t care about in to a movie that just amazed me.

(runner-up goes to Zombieland… hilarious movie that filled my zombie needs!!!)



2010 – The Expendables

Damn it Mike! You have to take my favorite movie from last year, haha. Ok I will go with the most fun I have had in a theater in a while. This movie was ridiculous in every manner, but I select it on just balls alone. So many action stars in one movie, and it was an insane amount of fun.

(runner-up goes to The Book of Eli… I went in to this movie not expecting much and left with a feeling of awe and amazement.



2011 – Thor

So far in 2011, Thor has been the only film to just wow me, and it was much better than I had expected.

(runner-up has to go to Super 8… I know it hasn’t come out yet, but I’m reserving the spot, haha.)

I hope you enjoyed my list, and I encourage you to make one of your own. Let me know your thoughts!!!

5 comments:

Doug E Doug said...

Great list of movies. I know that I would have many of the same movies on my list if I sat down and did this.

R.D. Penning said...

it took forever dude

Anonymous said...

I agree this is a hella cool list, makes me want to make one. But I would rank Fast Five as this year's "wow" movie.

R.D. Penning said...

I have heard that from a few people Rodrigo, but unfortunately I haven't seen it yet.

jervaise brooke hamster said...

Why did you ruin the list with all that appallingly unwatchable British made shit ?. By the way, i always get very senti-girl-tal about 1987 because it was the last complete year of Heather O`Rourke's life.