Thursday, March 11, 2010

My First Book Review: The Living Dead


The Living Dead (2008) Edited by John Joseph Adams

The Living Dead was released in 2008 by Night Shade Books, and it is a compilation of short stories from many authors. The stories all have something to do with zombies, or the living dead. Some of the authors include Cliver Barker, Poppy Z. Brite, Neil Gaiman, Joe Hill, Laurell K. Hamilton, Stephen King, Kelly Link, George R.R. Martin, Joe R. Lansdale, and many others.

When I first started reading the book, I will admit, I was half expecting the usual zombie gore stories. I was wrong, but in a good way. The stories contained in this book are far more than I could have ever imagined. They are so diverse,and it is really entertaining getting everyone's take on zombies. The ones that really stood out for me were mostly obvious. The veterans Barker, King, and Martin pretty much made the book well worth purchasing just on their own. I believe Stephen King's short story Home Delivery, included in the book, is going to be a motion picture in a couple years. The two pleasant surprises that stood out to me in the book were Dan Simmons's "This Year's Class Picture," and Kelly Link's "Some Zombie Contingency Plans." Those two are right off the bat in the beginning of the book. That's a hell of a way to start, and from that point on I couldn't really stop reading. There were only a couple stories that didn't keep my interest, and for the sake of supporting good reading material, I'm not going to say which ones. There are 486 pages, 34 stories, and I only disliked two of them. I think its a good buy, and I've already gone back and reread a couple, just because I liked them that much.

I look forward to more from John Joseph Adams, including his The Living Dead 2 book, which he just turned in the manuscript. Every better hurry and read this on first!

I give this book 9/10 Decapitations It is definitely a buy, not borrow book.

No comments: