Sunday, April 3, 2011

Source Code (2011)



Source Code (2011) Dir. by Duncan Jones

An action thriller centered on a soldier who wakes up in the body of an unknown man and discovers he's part of a mission to find the bomber of a Chicago commuter train.

This article should be renamed, "Duncan Jones is amazing." I had no actual intention of seeing Source Code this weekend, but after my friend talked me in to it instead of seeing Insidious... I went. Boy am I glad I did. I'm not saying Insidious would have been a bad choice, but I had a blast with Source Code. Let's start with the weak points first.



If I had to pick one particular item that wasn't on the same level as the rest of the film it would be the acting. Yes I understand that a majority of the characters had to play the same scenes over and over again and react to them differently, but still. Jake Gyllenhaal shows that he can in fact play the leading man, and do it fairly well, but just not quite at that level he needs to be. Michelle Monaghan plays a similar character as many of her other films, but what can I say... She is from Iowa. Of course I am going to support her and watch her films. Vera Farmiga is seen in definitely a new creative role compared to her other films, and she plays it with some force. Facial expressions were dead on, and told a story all of its own without any words. I was extremely annoyed with Jeffrey Wright, and his project inventor/director role. It seemed like he was trying way to hard to be an original character that it came off more like overacting. That being said... he has come a long way from playing Peoples Hernandez in the Shaft update back in 2000. Most of the acting was believable and I never thought twice about it while the movie was running, but it did come to mind after the film.



Now to the real story... Duncan Jones is a genius. I personally think right now he is hands the more amazing director out there, and I think if he keeps it up he will go far. While Source Code had a huge budget compared to Moon, you can still see all the really creative ways he saves money, just by watching his film. I don't want you to think I'm going to compare this film to Moon... because I can't. Moon is a film all on its own, and I don't think Jones can ever make a film as amazing as that again. That being said... Source Code is ONE HELL OF A FOLLOW-UP! While more directors taper off in to one hit wonders are to redefine themselves on a different level; Jones comes back with a bang. His attention to details is incredible. Every angle, ever item within the scene, a particular clip cut in to editing, and it is all for a reason. It is a circus for the eyes, and I enjoy it every time. With Jones, it never feels like there is any filler shot. If he needs a character to get from point A to point B, he just does it. There is no messing around. If the action is not necessarily relevant to the story, Jones doesn't waste any time making a big scene out of it. There is no time for nonsense. Jones injects ever scene with as much raw emotion he can get out of it, and it truly shows. He has a love for the cinema, and it shows. He is not making just another large budget film, and he couldn't have done it without a great script from Ben Ripley (badass name). The same guy who wrote Species 3 and 4 really surprised me on this one, but my guess is he should be thanking Duncan for helping make his stuff look good. I need to stop rambling, or people are going to think i have a crush. Duncan Jones gets me excited for film again. It is such a blast watching a film from a man who cares so much about every frame. He inspires me to do greater things myself, and now I look forward to his next film... whatever it may be... you will find me in the theater watching it.

Just keep your eye out for the ironic cameo of Colter Stevens's Father. I called it when I heard his voice, and laughed out loud when I saw his name in the credits. Some of the film was a bit predictable but I'm willing to look past it based on the fact that I had an insanely good time, and Jones's creative style of filming just blows me away.

Entertainment Value: 9/10 Comedians on a Train
Cinematic Value: 9/10 Comedians on a Train

2 comments:

Franco Macabro said...

Wow! Thats a glowing review! I loved MOON, and Im looking forward to seeing Source Code. Its always good to see other film buffs get excited when they see a filmmaker that is worth a damn.

R.D. Penning said...

Hell Yeah!!!