Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mortal Kombat Legacy Ep.1 - Quick Review



Mortal Kombat Legacy Ep.1 - Quick Review

Please stay with me on this one. It is wicked early in the morning and I just really wanted to touch base on episode one of the new live action Mortal Kombat Legacy by Director/Writer Kevin Tancharoen. I'm sure many of you saw his little short live action Mortal Kombat: Rebirth film last year. It started out as a fan film, and exploded from there. I knew it would happen anyway, but I didn't know it would happen as fast as it did. I also didn't know it would come from Kevin Tancharoen; the same guy who directed Fame, and produces two teeny tv shows - Twentyfourseven and Dance Life. But he did it, and depending on who you are, Rebirth was either amazing or weird... or both. It still peaked my interest, and got me all excited to see this new web series from Machima. I couldn't believe the cast he got to do just that little short film, and I really need to look up how much the budget was. Michael Jai White (Spawn,The Dark Knight, Black Dynamite) as Jackson Briggs, and Jeri Ryan (Dracula 2000, Shark-TV series) as Sonya Blade head up the cast of episode 1. Tahmoh Penikett (Trick 'r Treat, Battlestar Galactica and Dollhouse - TV series) was also in the episode as Lt. Kurtis Stryker, along with Darren Shahlavi (300, Slither, and various shitty Uwe Boll films) as Kano.



The first episode was a slow and mostly uneventful as I had imagined it would be. The problem with a first episode of any series is character development. It is required and it is much needed, so don't get me wrong when I say that it really slows everything down. Towards the end there was some good hand to hand combat between Jax and Kano, a decent shootout, and some cheesy Machimo special effects, but for the most part we were slowly building these four man characters to fill these new boots of live action. Tancharoen really is trying to create a brand new Mortal Kombat world, but staying respectful to the source material, and as a fan of all the MK's I appreciated this. All in all it was a good first episode, and got me excited for the rest of the series.



What got me even more excited for the rest of the series is seeing the list of the rest of the characters Tancharoen plans to recreate! You can find this same list on IMDB, but here it is:

Jackson Briggs
Kano
Scorpion
Queen Sindel
Cyrax/...
Johnny Cage
Sub Zero
Raiden
Sonya Blade
Sektor
Kitana
Mileena
Shao Kahn
Kurtis Stryker
Blue
Baraka
Kana
Shang Tsung
Quan Chi
King Ryuk

That list is VERY promissing. I can also see it pissing a lot of people off, but I think it is goign to be badass! The question is... with a list like that, who could they possible bring to the table for season two?

Here is the link to see the first episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov63lTUvNok

I hope you enjoy it, and stay tuned for more updates and next week's episode review.

No comments: