Monday, August 9, 2010

A Week of Posts Dedicated to the Syfy Channel!


Rain or shine, happy or sad, healthy or sick, there is nothing that can stop me from enjoying the Syfy channel and all its glory. The Syfy channel has be pumping out mediocre quality movies for decades, and I have been lucky enough to grow up in this time period. When I found out Syfy was doing nothing but replaying a bunch of they Syfy Channel original movies this week, I thought it would be a great opportunity to dedicate a week to a channel that has let me get lost in imagination.



I would be lying if I said I didn't draw inspiration from the Syfy channel. I will start of by talking about some of the recent TV shows that I love on Syfy. In the past, Scifi brought us Battlestar Galactica, Stargate SG1, and the start of Ghost Hunters, not to mention plenty more. Now days we have the same quality TV shows, not to mention a whole bunch of new additions to the line-up.



Warehouse 13 is a show about two Secret Service agents, who after they save the President's life, find themselves transferred to a warehouse in the middle of nowhere. Warehouse 13 is where they hide artifacts from all over the world that house special powers. The show stars Saul Rubinek, Eddie McClintock, and Joanne Kelly, and has fast become one of my favorite shows. It showcases lots of unique artifacts, although there are supernatural elements, they are backed up with real history lessons. In my opinion, it is one of the best shows on right now.



Haven, oh what to say about Haven. It is based on the story "The Colorado Kid" by Stephen King. The series follows the shrewd and confident FBI agent Audrey Parker (Rose) who has a lost past, and arrives in the small town of Haven, Maine on a routine case. Before long, her natural curiosity lands her in the epicenter of activity in this curious enclave, which turns out to be a longtime refuge for people that are affected by a range of supernatural afflictions. As the townspeople's dormant abilities begin to express themselves, Audrey helps keep these forces at bay while discovering the many secrets of Haven — including one surrounding her own surprising connections to this extraordinary place. -SyFy.com At first, I was really worried about this show, but it has really started to grow on me.



Ghost Hunters has been around for a long time, and then came Ghost Hunters International, but now comes a new additions, Ghost Hunters Academy. While not as strong as the first two shows, GHA showcases new people in a reality show setting, trying to get a spot on one of the other two shows. They travel back to a lot of places the original fans should remember, and offers new experiences on old places. The show is only in its second season, but I expect it to get better and better as it goes along. The show is ran by fan favorites, Dave Tango and Steve Gonsalves, and the chemistry between the two of them is flawless and hilarious. I love watching them, and they make the show worth watching. Without them, I don't think I would give the show the time of day.



These are the shows I really wanted to talk about, but Caprica (Stemmed from Battlestar Galactica) is really bringing in the numbers. I haven't really watched the show, but I didn't care for BG much either. It is worth mention because many other people do like the show.



That's it for the TV shows, and I'm going to pick on movie a day to review, so here is the schedule for this week:

Monday:

9:00 am - Sand Serpents (Syfy original movie)
11:00 am - Screamers
1:00 pm - Screamers: The Hunting
3:00 pm - Beowulf (1999)
5:00 pm - Predator 2
7:30 pm - The Fifth Element

Tuesday:

8:00 am - Lockjaw: Rise Of The Kulev Serpent
9:30 am - Showdown At Area 51 (Syfy original movie)
11:30 am - Predator 2
2:00 pm - Mutant Chronicles
4:30 pm - The Fifth Element

Wednesday:

9:00 am - Mortuary
11:00 am - Rest Stop
1:00 pm - See No Evil
3:00 pm - The Shaft
5:00 pm - 100 Feet

Thursday:

8:30 am - In the Spiders Web
10:30 am - The Hive
12:30 pm - Arachnid
2:30 pm - Arachnophobia
5:00 pm - Vipers

Friday:

8:00 am - Sometimes They Come Back Again
10:00 am - Sometimes They Come Back... For More
12:00 pm - The Dunwich Horror
2:00 pm - The Cursed
4:00 pm - Stephen King's Desperation

I only have the time to pick one, plus I can't watch them while my little guy is around, so I will pick them carefully, but this should be fun, and I hope you all enjoy this week as much as I am going to.

No comments: