Monday, February 1, 2010

The Top 10 Horror for Last Decade, and the Top 10 Horror/Comedies



It has been a rough couple of years for me, meaning I haven't seen as many movies as I have wanted to. I have managed to compose a couple of lists of the movies I have seen, and I have a couple of Top 10 lists. The first one is for the Top 10 of my favorite Horror movies from the last decade. Here they are:



10. Silent Hill (2006) Dir. by Christophe Gans

I still think this is one of the best video game adaptions ever made. Dim lighting, dark theme, perfectly scored, and above par acting from Radha Mitchell and Sean Bean drive this well directed movie.

9. Bug (2006) Dir. by William Friedkin

I don't know if this is horror so much as erie thriller, but I felt it deserved to be on the list. Michael Shannon gives another strong performance, with support from Ashley Judd and Harry Connick Jr.. This movie creeped me out on a whole new level. It showed how one persons mental illness could be projected on someone else with equally disastrous results.

8. Undead (2003) Dir. by Michael Spierig Peter Spierig

This might be one of my guilty pleasures, but this movie has infinite rewatch value. I can't get enough of it. It is one of the most original zombie movies I have ever seen, and amazingly filmed on such a low budget.

7. Dog Soldiers (2002) Dir. by Neil Marshall

An extremely original Werewolf movie from the guy who later on brought us The Descent and Doomsday. Strong acting from Kevin McKidd and Sean Pertwee, and a great filming location really drive this movie.

6. The Signal (2007) Dir. by David Bruckner Dan Bush

First time Director David Bruckner gets some help from Dan Bush to put together this strong story. It takes some similar themes from movies like Pulse, and books like Stephen King's Cell, and puts new twists to make it a solid story. Believable acting acts as a glue to hold together the story, which is told from three very different perspectives.

5. Drag Me To Hell (2009) Dir. by Sam Raimi

Excellent movie I watched this past month. It was pretty much flawless and generally creeped me out. I couldn't put it higher on the list because I haven't been able to watch it multiple times. A unique demon story for sure.

4. The Feast Trilogy (2005, 2008, 2009) Dir. by John Gulager

I know what you are thinking, really? Number 4? I am going to stand by it, because what these movies lack in quality acting, they make up for in being almost completely unpredictable. The shock value is insanely high, and I find them extremely entertaining. Perfectly written and cleverly directed.

3. 28 Days Later/ 28 Weeks Later (2002, 2007) Dir. by Danny Boyle and Juan Carlos Fresnadillo

Almost creating a whole new class of zombies, and yes I said zombies. The Rage Virus is insane. The first movie starts off a little slow but that is about it. These movies are so emotionally charged, I found it very easy to feel for each character.

2. American Psycho (2000) Dir. by Mary Harron

Will forever be one of my favorites. This movie is so original and well written thanks to a strong book from Bret Easton Ellis. Christian Bale is amazing, with a strong supporting cast. It kept me on the edge of my seat, yet kept things from being too heavy by adding some comedy.

1. The Mist (2007) Dir. by Frank Darabont

Frank Darabont has proven time and time again how amazing he is as a film maker. Writing the script for The Blob (1988). He has gained much of his success writing and directing material from his good friend Stephen King. If there is anyone that is worthy of making a Stephen King film it is Frank. He has wrote 2 episodes for Tales from the Crypt (1990,1992), and directed Shawshank Redemption (1994) and The Green Mile (1999). The Mist is just as solid. The story and emotion put in to it keep this movie solid. Not once while watching it did I think about how the creatures weren't believable. I was focused too much on the characters and how they interacted with each other. He shows just enough of the creatures to sustain the fear within the story. Then he tops it off by writing his own ending to a Stephen King short story that didn't really have one before. The twist it throws in there left me breathless. This movie should remain high up on my lists for eternity.









Ok, now I just want to leave you with my list of 10 Horror/Comedies of the last decade:

10. Dead & Breakfast (2004)
9. Eight Legged Freaks (2002)
8. The Tripper (2006)
7. Idle Hands (2000)
6. Black Sheep (2006)
5. Fido (2006)
4. My Name Is Bruce (2007)
3. Slither (2006)
2. Shaun of the Dead (2004)
1. Zombieland (2009)

No comments: