Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Descent



The Descent (2005) Dir. by Neil Marshall

I had seen The Descent when it came out back in 2005, and my reviews were brutal. I couldn't help but feel like it was because The Cave. That movie ruined my 2005, and I think I took it out on The Descent. I feel like if I would have seen The Descent first I might have thought more highly of it. I feel like I owe Neil Marshall and The Mike an apology. They have been telling me how good this movie is, and like an ass, I have been denying it. I decided to view it today for a second time. The movie was much better recieved this time. While I still feel that it isn't as good as Dog Soldiers, I decided it is probably better than Marshall's Doomsday.

I'm not going to say a whole lot on this one. It is a good claustrophobic horror with suprising elements that generally did still suprise me even though I had seen it before. There is action a plenty, and the crawlers are actually pretty frightening. The movie still makes me a little queezy, but just because I'm not a huge fan of tight places like caves. There are a few jump suprises that still managed to startle me, but my favorite part about the film is the lighting. Had it not been for the lighting, I think this movie would probably be garbage. It really adds to the atmosphere. The girls are all not terribly great actors, but it works because the movie never really focuses on theme for more than a minute or two. The only time it reflects on them is when they have to make a tough decision or when they do something you don't think they would do. It is a good movie to just show you what people are capable of doing when they think they are going to die. For people who have seen the movie, my favorite part is still part of a climbing axe accident. You know what I'm talking about, awesome!



While I did bump this movie up from some of the worst movies I have seen, I still feel like it didn't really warrant a sequel. I can't say I'm in much of a rush to watch it, but I did give this one another chance and it payed off. Maybe I will take on the second one someday.

Entertainment Value: 7 Fading Flares out of 10
Cinematic Value: 6 Fading Flares out of 10

1 comment:

The Mike said...

Glad to see you gave it another chance. I'm way overdue for a rewatch of this one, me and Marshall are like superfriends of justice, I've decided.