Monday, May 24, 2010

Bubba Ho-tep (2002) Quick Review



Bubba Ho-tep (2002) Dir by Don Coscarelli

Elvis and JFK, both alive and in nursing homes, fight for the souls of their fellow residents as they battle an ancient Egyptian Mummy.

Based on a short story by horror writer legend Joe R. Landsdale, Bubba Ho-tep delivers! Coscarelli does well directing and writing this short story transfer. Bruce Campbell and Ossie Davis play the characters Elvis and JFK, and they are very convince. So much, that you believe that they believe they are Elvis and JFK. I always have a lot of fun when I'm watching this movie, but it is hard to really put it into a horror category. There is so much comedy in the writing and the characters that I end up laughing through 90% of the film.



Coscarelli does something a little out of the norm with this film, and that is direct a smooth, colorful, flashy film. I'm not saying that it is a bad thing, and I'm not saying the Phantasm series wasn't amazing, because it is still my 2nd favorite series of all time, and they need to make a frickin 5th movie! Don might have had a bit of help with cinematographer and the editor, but the movie looks great. The action is on a minimum, but what can you expect with a movie about two guys in a nursing home. The movie really relies on great writing, and it is perfect. Ella Joyce and Coscarelli native Reggie Bannister give admirable supporting performances, and there isn't really a whole lot to gripe about with this film. It is a movie I can always count on to entertain me on any given day from the almost slow start to the strong laughable finish. Its hard to give this film a full review because it is just what it is, Bubba Ho-tep!

Entertainment Value: 9/10 Scarab Beetles
Cinematic Value: 8/10 Scarab Beetles

For another great review of Bubba Ho-tep check out this link for www.picturenose.com here it is, and let them know how much you love it. http://www.picturenose.com/bubba-ho-tep-2002-movie-review.html

7 comments:

Lee Russell said...

Great movie. I love how the DVD features Bruce Campbell doing a commentary track in-character as Elvis.

forestofthedead said...

That movie is fantastic.

Simon said...

I've wanted to see this forever, I have.

R.D. Penning said...

You haven't seen it yet Simon?

Simon said...

Alas, no.

venoms5 said...

This is probably the single movie I have in my collection that I really need to sit down and rewatch again. I just couldn't get into it at all, but so many seem to love it.

Sarah T. said...

I went to a semi-premiere of this film at one of the Draft House Theaters in Austin back in 2002. A good time was had by all. I loved this movie!