Sunday, December 18, 2011

Trollhunter (2010)



Trollhunter (2010) Dir. by Andre Ovredal

A group of students investigates a series of mysterious bear killings, but learns that there are much more dangerous things going on. They start to follow a mysterious hunter, learning that he is actually a troll hunter.



I can't honestly tell you what I was expecting going in to this viewing of Trollhunter. I had never heard of Ovredal before, but this film has definitely got the buzz over the past year or so. I tried to go in with a wide open mind. This makes the third found footage film I have seen in the last week or so and I have been disappointed the first two times. I guess this helped me go in to the film with low expectations.



I absolutely love films with a small cast. I think it is perfect when there is s small amount of characters to really focus on, rather than a large group. I say this now, but it is only really true when we are allowed to really develop with the characters themselves. One quiet and smart camera man, one scared yet oddly aroused mic girl, one fearless documentary leader, and one mysterious yet rugged and manly trollhunter... with a beard. Yes... the beard is essential to the film. Yes everyone just sort of falls in to their respective places, but it really makes the film work this way.



Ovredal has managed to create a real gem of a film here, and on little to no money. This is a prime example of how to make a film for $3,000,000. The troll effects are fantasy like, yet scary at the same time. The differences in the troll types is great, and only makes the experience that much better by explaining the different types of trolls, and given them backgrounds as well, rather than just the mysterious creatures of the night. I thought this made for a rather respectable film that relies on your senses of sight and sound even more so than a jumpy horror flick. It is just beautifully shot, and perfectly executed. Everything from the lighting and sound was done amazing. The only thing I can really say negative about the film is the ending. I understand why the ending is there, but it felt rushed, and I'm not so sure I was ready for that moment to be the time for the film to end. I think I wanted more, and I wanted to know what happened next. I guess I will just have to wait and see if the American remake in 2014 expands on it at all. Otherwise everyone should check this flick out. Good Fun!

Entertainment Value: 9/10 Christians Screwing Shit Up (movie reference)
Cinematic Value: 8/10 Christians Screwing shit Up (movie reference)

No comments: